Monday, September 15, 2014

Snake Like Charms

Snake Skin, Roe Swamp


Shedding skin of a snake, will
loosen first at the lips, retract
backward over bluing eyes
dull crown, those sorcerous jaws

Resistance is needed, seeking
friction of rock, chafe of grass
scour and scrub of brown balga
It braces its body and slides out

Slipped fishnet of bubblewrap
mingled with a streaky mandala
of divested paperbark, becomes
my discovery, being its past

I tease open a brittle end, puzzle
my arm inside, until it is sheathed
to the elbow, ghost eyes puckering
my skin. My pulse its unsealed centre

Vestiture of rain spittle in my hair
A cool trickle slides inside my collar
I tear the delicate mesh pulling it off
in what becomes a deluge

God of fragmentation, refusing
to keep things whole, coming
to me later. Showing again
that repetition might simply be
a lack of attention to detail








SAVE BEELIAR WETLANDS













.

3 comments:

Jé Maverick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda Joy said...

Thank you for such a generous comment Mr Maverick! Yes, surely poetry sits somewhere between, Echo's self doubt and the object of her desire? In the Mandorla created by their shadows? Itself like a snake's mouth.
() ;)

Jé Maverick said...

Yes, at the junctures of the liminal. A Venn fragment - another echo. ;)